Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Without a perm?

(this Q is not for me) If someone has course, african-american virgin hair, what can be used to make it manageable without the use of perms, texturizers or hot combs(her hair too short)?



Without a perm?

Flat iron her hair and relax it so water won't make it curly again also try to put in fake hair called tracks it makes your hair look real and long.



Without a perm?

If it is true virgin hair (never chemically treated or colored), there are several options that you can use to manage hair, depending on what style or texture is desired. I have never had a perm (I colored it once - bad idea), but my hair has a naturally curly/wavy texture and is long. No matter what length or texture, you've got to use a moisturizer. I suggest a shea butter moisturizer. Also, a good shampoo and conditioner will go a long way. I suggest Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. Every four to six weeks, the hair needs to be deep conditioned. Pantene Pro-V has a really good deep hydrating hair mask.



As far as styling, I have used hot combs and flat irons in the past to straighten my hair. Heat can damage the hair follicle and you've said that her hair is too short to press at this point. Until it grows out, she can use a moisturizing texturizer to keep hair under control or a light curl wax. I use the latter - Garnier Fructis soft curl wax works great. Also, styling the hair in two strand twists gives the hair a break from the constant combing and also gives curls more definition. She can wear a twist out - one of my favorites - where she two strqand twists her hair, untwists it after a few days, and wears the hair curly.



I'm trying to think what else to say...use wide tooth combs to comb hair, never brush natural hair when wet, use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month (to prevent build up) and rotate shampoos every three months to maintain effectivity. I also recomend covering hair at night. It makes styles last longer and also prevents hair from drying out. Moisturizing hair is key to managability. Do it atleast twice daily. Invest in some colorful scarves and headbands as accessories. There are also a lot of websites out there devoted to natural hair as more and more African-Americans are realizing the damaging effects of chemicals and heat to hair.



Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment